On Monday 24 September 2007 I made my predictions for the 07-08 basketball season and now the season in well and truly gone and we're into the pre-season for 08-09. So, how did I do?
Prediction 1: Perth and Cairns to fight out the NBL title.
Well, I bombed with this one. Sydney knocked out Perth in the semis on their way to a 2-3 loss to Melbourne in the finals. Cairns didn't get past the quarter finals. Close, but no cigar.
Prediction 2: Nathan Jawai to be Rookie of the Year.
Yep, well this one was an easier one to work with. Jawai not only went on to win rookie of the year, but was also drafted into the NBA, signing a 2-year contract with Toronto.
Prediction 3: Patrick Mills to be the first Aboriginal/T.I to draw NBA interest.
Relatively unheard of when I made the prediction, I was on the right track but didn't quite guess right. After scoring 15 and then 20 points against the US senior team in the Olympics, Patty is most definitely on the NBA radar, but he was beaten to the punch of being drafted by his cousin, Nathan Jawai. So prediction 2 knocked out 3.
Not a bad effort, but I could do better.
For the 08-09 season my predictions are thus:
1. The grand final to be won by Adelaide and played against either Sydney or Melbourne.
2. Aaron Bruce to be NBL Rookie of the Year (Luke Schenscher being runner-up).
3. Andrew Ogilvy to be drafted to the NBA in the first round.
4. Only one out of Joe Ingles, Aron Baynes or Luke Nevill to be drafted in the second round, with the other two going undrafted.
5. Patrick Mills to stay in college for another year.