Ever tried online dating? It's usually fun, interesting and you get to mea.. meet nice people. Everyone has their own particular tastes, fetishes and requirements, but often there are particular shots of terminology and phrase placed in a profile that will turn it into instant road kill. The same applies to chatting to people online in general, via blogs, messenger programs and irc. So the question is, what turn of phrase annoys you, or makes you want to instantly switch off?
John's Top 5 Online Conversation Killers:
5. "Cincere" - Maybe I'm over the top with this one and am verging on grammar NAZI territory, but if a person claims to be sincere then I'd at least hope they care enough to know how to bloody spell the word. "Cence" of humour is another that is almost as bad.
4. "Princess" - When I read the word "princess" it makes me think of pink leeches, sucking the life out of people, draining them of their finances and mojo, and who would then do absolutely jack with the energy once siphoned. Sure it's stereotyping, but when you're dealing with a global pool of potentially interesting people to converse with it's best to minimise the risk factor of ever having to deal with a chick who owns a poodle.
3. "Omg lol lyke how r u? I5 this 4 real? lolz!!11" - ...do I even have to explain this one?
2. "I'm the one your mother warned you about" - Oh really? God damn, are you following me? I swear I just saw your profile in the last page I clicked through, and two pages again before that. Not to mention that I saw you on the other site I'm a member of. What's worse is that your profile picture is always different, yet your personality remains the same! I can see why my mum warned me about you, you fucking stalker!!
1. "I like riding horses, sky diving, snow boarding, long romantic walks along the beach and rock climbing" - Yet you live in the city, rarely see the snow, are inland far away from the beach, have sky dived once with no intention of making it a hobby and the same applies to rock climbing. So, just who the fuck are you? I read profiles wanting to get to know a person. I don't want to know who you would LIKE to be! Tell me who you really are! I'd love to be He-Man, ranging around the plains of Eternia on a giant green cat that talks whilst fighting Skeletor, but I won't be putting that into my profile, at least not on the sites you frequent!
OK, so maybe there's a little emotion there in that post.